In this article, you will learned about “Method Statement for Installation of Earthing and Lighting Protection System”. So lets start, Construction / MEP teams and Subcontractors are fully responsible for all aspects of Quality and Safety. And QA/QC and HSE teams’ roles are to provide training, advise, guidance, and to conduct monitoring, surveillance and random inspections.
1. Objective of Method Statement for Installation of Earthing and Lighting Protection System
The purpose of generating this method statement is to define the procedure step by step to implement the correct practices for installation of Earthling and Lighting protection system through the guidelines contained here. So as to ensure that the job execution complies with the requirement and serves the intended function to satisfactory level.
2. Scope of Work
This Method Statement refers to various work procedures contained within project control document, which explains and covers the installation Earthling and Lighting Protection
3. Materials, Handling & Storage
Materials required for Earthling and Lighting Protection
- Tape copper 25x3mm
- PVC LSF GY conductor
- PVC GY copper conductor (Normal PVC insulated outer sheet)
- Earth pit sealed Type
- Earth pit concrete Type
- Copper Earth bars
- Other associated materials as specified in Technical Submittal.
- External shall have insulated and same as per paint color.
Handling & Storage of Earthling and Lighting Protection
- On receipt of the Earthing and Lighting protection material at site necessary precautions shall be taken for unloading, shifting & storage, as follows: –
- Material must be stored in a covered/dry area at all times to prevent corrosion.
- All material received at site shall be inspected and ensured that the materials are as per approved material submittal.
- Any discrepancies, damage, etc. found will be informed and the necessary measures will be taken.
- Material that is not suitable for use on the Site will be immediately removed from the Site.
Plant, Machinery, Vehicle
Tools & Equipment
- Drill Machines
- Sand paper and Files
- Measuring tape
- Spirit Level
- Hammer/Power Hammers
- Measuring Instrument (i.e., Earth Meger, Ohm meter)
4. Safety – Installation of Earthing and Lighting Protection
- Ensure only trained peoples shall function the power tools.
- Make sure all concerned personals shall use PPE (Personal Project Equipment) and all other items as required.
- Ensure passable lighting is provided in the working place at night time.
- Make sure the service pit opening is barricaded, taped, and safety netted.
- All other precautionary measures must be in accordance with HSE requirements.
- Needed work permit shall be obtained prior to start of any work.
- Ensure the presence of PPE.
- Ensure clear access to emergency assembly area with signage’s in place.
Method Statement for Temporary works (Installation/Execution)
5. Sequence of Works
Procedures / Method to be Employed. Installation of Earthing System
- Ensure that the work area is ready and safe to start the installation of Earthing and Lighting Protection System.
- Ensure the installation of Earthing Systems and Lighting Systems are carried out in accordance with manufacturer’s installation recommendations. Requirement of applicable standards and in accordance with recognized industrial practices and specified in projects specification to ensure that installation complies with requirements.
- Prior to start the installation, refer to the approved shop drawings related to the areas of installation and ensure that required materials are available at site as per approved material submittals.
- Make sure the materials are stopped properly and there is no mark of damage or deformity for any kind before issuing the material from site store. All material and accessories should also be free of dusts, scale or oil.
- Ensure that the issued materials are of approved specification/submittals and as per the requirement for the area shop drawings. (remake, Size, Model/Type etc.;)
- Concerned Electrical Engineer and site supervisor shall ensure the location of all earth pits as per the approved shop drawings. Ensure the location of earth pits are make coordinated with all other external services like drainage pipe lines, water supply pipe lines, gas pipe lines, external lighting systems and other services etc.
- Adjust earth electrodes shall be spaced at least 6 mtrs apart.
- The rods shall be driven manually in earth. After achieving a minimum depth of approximately 6 meters. The earth resistance shall be measured. If the earth distance value is not satisfactory, the process of adding further earth electrodes shall be continued till specified earth resistance value is achieved. All the values shall be recorded.
- The Earth pith shall be installed after completion of installation of earth rods connections and a clear gap of 50mm shall be maintained between top of earth.
- PVC sheathed single core earthing cables of specified sizes shall be laid between the earth pith and the earth bar inside the building and terminated with proper compression lugs/clamps as per the permitted drawings.
- The inter connection of cable pits/earth bars shall be done as per the approved drawings.
- All earthing connection shall be made after cleaning the surface thoroughly and tightness check for each connection shall be performed. Continuity of earth connections shall be checked for every link in the networks.
- For substations, earthing shall be done by Gov. Organization. Coordination with Arch. and Civil services shall be carried out on completion of total earthing system and testing, reports shall be submitted for approval.
Installation of Earthing Bonding/Equipotential Bonding
- The metallic frame of all electrical equipment shall be connected to the nearest earth bar.
- The earthing continuity for cable trays and trunking shall be maintained with earth links and end of the same shall be connected to earth bar with flexible earthing bonding link.
- Flexible tinned copper earthing braids shall be used for the earthing connections where there is possibility of expansion / contraction and also where vibrating equipment is installed of approved size.
- The metallic water lines shall be checked for correct tightness and cleanliness.
- The earth wire size shall be equal to the phase wire if the conductor cross sections is less than 16 sq. mm and shall be half of the phase conductor size for sizes higher than 16 sq.mm
Installation of Lighting Protection System: Pile Cap use as Earth Pit
- Check the pile rebar for lowest earth resistance with earth megger, and select the rebar with lowest resistance as earth pit.
- Connect the cable of size as per drawing using clamps to the rebar and run the cable into the column above ground level.
- Install a junction box at ground level for the test point as per the drawings, install the test point with in the box and connect the test pin cable into the rebar of approved size which will be used down conductor.
- Extend the rebar by welding with enough overlap as per drawing, continue the procedure in all floors up to roof floor.
- Connect the rebar to roof copper tape mesh using appropriate clamps as per drawings.
- The main contractor to ensure that prior to installation of pipes, all building surfaces to which raceways or brackets are fixed and completed to acceptable tolerance and are in a suitably clean and dry condition. Any unsatisfactory condition must be reported to the Project Manager and installation will not proceed unless corrective action is taken by him.
- Prior to start the work, plumbing engineer, Supervisor from all execution team shall ensure that the latest approved shop drawings are available at site.
- Supervisor shall ensure equipment and correct tools are available for installation-operation and to achieve compliance with contract requirement.
Installation of Copper Tape Mesh in Roof
- Earth tape clamps shall be fixed on the route as shown in the approved shop drawing and the straightness shall be checked along with building finish, on the top roof high level.
- Square tape –clamps shall be installed wherever 90 deg turnings are taking place.
- Earth tape shall be laid and fixed firm with the clamps already installed.
- Wherever square tape clams are installed it shall be ensured that two earth tapes are in proper contact with each other.
- Earth tape shall be checked for good continuity, tightness and cleanliness.
- Install the Air terminal rods as per drawing and connect it to the copper tape.
- It shall be ensured that the conductors of building earthing system and lighting protection system also the earth pits of both services are totally isolated from each other.
- Connect the copper tape mesh to all the equipment in roof as per the drawings.
- Ring conductors should be installed at intermediate floors as per drawing.
- Ring conductor should be connected to the down conductors as per drawings.
- After completion of installation and testing, final connections shall be made after ensuring proper cleaning. -: End :-